You can find a more recent version of this page here.
This page contains a lot of links to historical info about Wikipedia, his sister projects (Wiktionary, Wikibooks, Wikisource, Wikiquote, Wikiversity, Wikinews, Wikispecies, Commons, Meta) and her predecessors (Nupedia).
Wikipedia pages can be edited by everyone, and the histories are saved and publicly available, but usually is hard to find very old things. I hope you enjoy this page. Nostalgia time!
Have you got more historical info about Wikipedia? Please, share it with us, emijrp TA gmail TOD com
The Internet encyclopedia projects:
- Interpedia (only a proposal)
- GNUpedia (also GNE) (online but inactive)
- Nupedia (offline)
- Wikipedia (online, and... long life!)
This is a list with some links to Wikipedia dumps and other related bunches of raw data (usually many zipped GB, which sometimes expands to TB). Enjoy.
- Official web page for dumps
- English Wikipedia dump from 2010-01-30 is the newer dump. Some months old : (
- English Wikipedia dump from 2008-01-03 at Internet Archive. All files.
- English Wikipedia dump from 2007-04-02 at Internet Archive. Only pages-meta-history in bz2.
- English Wikipedia dump from 2006-11-04 at Internet Archive. All files except the large bz2 (but 7z yes!).
- English Wikipedia dump from 2006-08-16. Only pages-meta-history in 7z.
- Dump of Wikipedia from December 20, 2001 at Internet Archive. Only bz2, around 30 MB. Also available as nostalgia in Wikipedia official dumps page.
- And very old dumps at IA (the first available is from 2003). Not really for use, only for archivers and old data hoarders ; ). You can download some of the tiniest sql files (I think Internet Archive only saves files < 500 KB or so). More info.
- ATTENTION: Read this.
- Recent logs (last months)
- Visits logs at Internet Archive, from December 2007 to September 2009.
- No public available.
- The Wiki[mp]edia mailing lists archives gzip'd links
- The Nupedia mailing lists:
- Our first article message by Larry Sanger:
Our first article is online now!
This is, of course, a modest beginning, but it's a very significant
development. Congratulations to Christoph Hust for being the first.
- A: aerospace-l, anthro-l, anomphen-l, archae-l, architect-l, astronomy-l,
- M: music-l,
- Z: zoology-l,
- Complete list
- Larry Sanger mails about Nupedia/Wikipedia in Usenet
And now some historical images. See galleries:
The Nupedia mainpage in 2000-08-15, an encyclopedia written by experts, best known as the predecessor of Wikipedia. It was closed in September 2003 (see more snapshots and screenshots in more languages).
Wikimedia servers on the first day of install. Photo taken by Jimbo Wales.
English Wikipedia mainpage in 2001-03-31, with over 3000 articles (see more snapshots).
Screenshot from the early Wikipedia database download page (2003-12-13). Internet Archive.